Welcome to the ¡BAMLog! website at www.bamlog.com. Links, logs, photos, and more for the broadcast DXer since 2000.
TNT (Top 'Net Ten) on ¡BAMLog!
1. Remote Control Variable Termination SuperLoop
2. FCC AM Query
3. Cuba Radio Map
4. Current Solar Forecast
5. AM Broadcast Tower Sites
6. 2016 Prince Edward Island DXpedition
7. MW List
8. Micro SuperLoop
9. Silent MW Radio Countries
10. Turn Your SDR into an RF Sniffer
Broadcast DX Clubs
National Radio Club/DX Audio Service (NRC/DXAS)
- Founded in September, 1933, the National Radio Club is a non-profit organization devoted to the mediumwave DX hobby. Publisher of DX News magazine and the DX Audio Service audio magazine. (Bruce Conti is the International DX Digest columnist for DX News.)
Boston Area DXers (BADX)
- A group of SWLs and DXers who meet informally once a month to talk about stations we have heard, shortwave listening, and DXing in general.
Ontario DX Association (ODXA)
- Closure of website planned 2017, will only be active via social media.
International Radio Club of America (IRCA)
- Check here for the upcoming DX test schedule by Lynn Hollerman, plus DX tips, the latest list of expanded band stations, and general information about BCB DXing.
Arctic Radio Club
- The first medium wave DX club in Europe.
Medium Wave Circle (MWC)
- Europe's premier medium wave DX club. Select An Introduction (by RNW) for a discussion about medium wave DXing from Radio Netherlands.
British DX Club (BDXC)
- Produces the BDXC Tape Circle, with members sharing DX and experiences on a monthly audio magazine, and publisher of Radio Stations in the United Kingdom, a guide to all UK and Irish MW and FM radio stations.
European DX Council (EDXC)
- Maintains a worldwide radio country list.
- Publishes DX Aktuellt - allt om radio, Dansk DX Lytter Klub.
New Zealand Radio DX League
- "DXing Kiwi style!" Publisher of DX Times magazine, this site includes archived articles, history, and the South Pacific DX Report broadcast schedule.
Grupo Radioescucha Argentino
- Aficionados al hobby del diexismo y la radioescucha desde hace más de 18 años.
Asociación Española de Radioescucha (AER)
- La AER es una asociación española... dedicada a la promoción del diexismo y la radioescucha en el mundo, especialmente en España y América Latina.
Irkutsk DX Circle
- "An information exchange about all aspects of our hobby - DXing, in particular concerning broadcasting from/to C.I.S. and Russia."
Worldwide TV-FM DX Association (WTFDA)
- "Serving the VHF-UHF enthusiast... This is the club that loves tropospheric ducting!"
Worldwide DX Club
- Publisher of DX Magazine and online weekly 'Top News' MW and SW updates.
Outstanding DX Related Links
- MW-Specific Sites
Ydun's Medium Wave Info
- News, reports, and loggings from the long and medium wave bands.
Mark's Radio, Electronics, Music, and other Web Links
- Mark Connelly WA1ION, is the designer of many of the antenna phasing units used by MW DXers. Find construction plans for phasing units, and many other interesting DX links.
- Beverage antenna mediumwave DX by Martin Hall GM8IEM in Scotland.
- The distant AM station reception hobby, 150 to 1800 kHz, site by Craig Healy. Database includes over 3,300 directional antenna patterns.
Sylvain Naud's Quebec DX
- Long and medium wave DX from Quebec.
Shawn Axelrod's Logbook
- Excel file of DX from Manitoba.
- From the Valhalla Beach DX bus located north of Winnipeg.
Long Beach Island DXpeditions
- Reports from the annual New Jersey coast event.
Zion, Pennsylvania DXpedition
- 2016 results.
Lemmenjoki, Finland DX
- The Radiosivut page of Esa Hänninen's web site, featuring the Lemmenjoki, Finland DXpeditions.
- Logs, photos, and more from extreme northeast Norway.
- Blog by Jan-Erik Osterholm in Finland, "Listening to radio stations from the Americas."
Cape DX/Springbok Radio
- Loggings, verifications, and audio from South Africa including various coastal DXpeditions, by Gary Deacon.
DX Clip Joint
- DX audio files, examples of long distance AM broadcast reception.
The Wobbler - A Mystery Radio Signal
- Investigation of the so-called Cuban wobblers by W.Curt Deegan. Noted dead link Nov 2012.
- Solar Activity
- Current global propagation conditions, solar activity, and information, by columnist Tomas Hood NW7US.
Solar Terrestrial Activity Report
- Prepared by Jan Alvestad of the DX Listeners' Club.
Solar Cycle 24.com
- "All of your solar and auroral needs in one place!" by VE3EN.
Current Solar Forecast
- Report of solar-geophysical activity prepared jointly by the US Dept of Commerce, NOAA, Space Weather Prediction Center, and the U.S. Air Force.
3-Day Estimated Kp Index Monitor
- SEC/NOAA Planetary K-Index graphical representation updated dynamically every 15 minutes.
Solar Wind Chart
- Red trace of Bz at the top must be negative (southward) for auroral DX conditions during a geomagnetic storm.
WWV Geophysical Alert Message
- Text of the three-hourly WWV broadcasts.
3-Day Aurora Forecast
- Experimental auroral oval images.
- Realtime monitor of geomagnetic activity from University of Alberta.
OVATION Auroral Oval
- Oval Variation Assessment Tracking Intensity and Online Nowcasting real-time and archived auroral oval images.
National Institute of Information and Communications Technology
- NICT Space Weather Information Center in Japan.
- N1BUG collection of auroral oval images.
- Science news and information about the Sun-Earth environment. Sunspots, solar flares, indices, coronal holes, geomagnetic storms... it's all here!
- Real-time auroral activity and solar activity.
The Basics of Radio Wave Propagation
- By Edwin C. Jones, MD, PhD, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Tennessee.
IPS Radio and Space Services
- The Australian Space Weather Agency.
US Naval Observatory
- Obtain sunrise/sunset data for any location worldwide.
- Radio Station Databases and Listings
- Database of all longwave, mediumwave, and tropical band radio stations worldwide with Google Map links to transmitter sites.
- World Radio TV Handbook directory of global broadcasting, domestic and international. Updates to the latest edition.
MW Offsets List
- Accurate frequency measurements of AM radio stations worldwide.
- AM/FM/TV data from the U.S., Canada, Ireland, UK, Australia, and Japan; a service of REC Networks.
World Radio Map
- FM and AM radio station listings by location.
Broadcasting Stations of the World
- Publication of the U.S. Foreign Broadcast Information Service, 1953-1974 archives at the University of Illinois.
Silent MW Radio Countries
- Nations no longer active on the AM broadcast band.
Radio & TV Stations of Algeria
- Frequency list and transmitter gallery.
Rádio Nacional de Angola
- FM/AM/SW directory.
Government of Malta
- List of AM and FM radio stations.
Africa on MW and SW
- August 2016 report by BDXC (pdf).
Radio AM en America Latina
- mwlist.org directory.
- Argentina AM radio database.
Lista de Emissoras Brasileiras de Ondas Médias
- From DX Clube do Brasil, "The most complete list of Brazilian MW stations... compiled with the help of dozens of Brazilian DXers and periodically updated."
- Operadores de radiodifusión sonora en AM.
- Buscador de frecuencia.
Ministerio de Transportes y Comunicaciones
- Registro Nacional de Frecuencia en Peru.
Peru AM Radio update
- Compilation of new authorizations 2013-2014.
- Directorio de radio emisoras cubanas.
Cuba Radio Map
- Mapped compilation of Cuban AM radio stations widely received in the U.S.
2016 RadioCuba List
- Updated compilation (pdf) by Mauricio Molano Sánchez.
- Centros transmisores de onda media.
Identify that Cuban on AM!
- Station identification recordings by Brett Saylor N3EVB.
European Medium Wave Guide (EMWG)
- Announced on December 12, 2015, that it would no longer be supported. The last revision for 2015 remains online for now.
UK Free TV/Radio
- Comprehensive list of all UK radio stations on FM, MW and LW, with links to coverage maps.
The Pacific Asian Log (PAL)
- "A list of all known medium wave broadcast stations in the Asia-Pacific region from Afghanistan to Alaska," compiled by Bruce Portzer, N7ECJ.
- AM, FM, and TV broadcasting in south and southeast Asia, maintained by WRTH contributor Alan G. Davies.
KOH KOJE KOMEX Lists
- Finnish DX Association database of Hawaiian, Mexican, and Yankee stations.
BBC World Service
- Listening in the Caribbean
Caribbean News Link
- Online radio stations sorted by country.
FCC CDBS Public Access
- Search FCC Media Bureau databases for AM, FM, TV, LPTV, and DTV broadcast stations.
FCC AM Query
- FCC AM broadcast station search engine.
FCC General Menu Reports
- Search for licensed HAR/TIS stations.
Coast to Coast AM
- Search by U.S. state or Canada for radio affiliates.
- TuneIn.com list of radio stations and times.
Red Eye Radio
- Affiliates map and list.
EWTN Radio Affiliates Map
- Search by state or download pdf affiliate list.
Immaculate Heart Radio
- Radio stations in the west and affiliates across the U.S.
Information Station Specialists (ISS)
- National Parks ISS station list.
U.S. Frequency Allocations
- NTIA/U.S. Department of Commerce radio spectrum chart (pdf).
Canadian Radio Directory
- "The complete, accurate user-friendly list of Canadian radio stations," maintained by Andy Reid.
The AMANDX Pages
- Manitoba-based Canadian AM/FM directory, databases for SWL and amateur radio.
Industry Canada Spectrum Direct
- Frequency range search engine. Unavailable October 15, 2016.
U.S. and Canada
The Canada/US AM Station Info Lookup Page
- Calculate distance and bearing, look up sunrise/sunset times, and search for station information by call letters and format.
AM/FM Signal Strengths
- Find the field strengths of AM and FM stations serving a location by zip code.
- The FCC search engine by Cavell, Mertz & Davis Inc. with mapping linked to Google Earth.
- "The internet's most comprehensive FM/AM/TV broadcast query tool covering the USA and Canada," by REC Networks.
- Links to over 10,000 radio stations and 2,500 audio streams, formerly the MIT list of stations on the Internet.
- Find a radio station, song, or commercial.
Fred Cantú's Mexico Radio/TV
- The premier directory of Mexican radio and TV since 1993. Cantú retired the website in 2015.
- Emisoras AM, FM, y TV en cada estado.
- Estaciones de radio, canales de television, etc.
Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide
- 3-hour documentary and 115-page listening guide by Chris Kadlec.
World Aero Data
- Airport and navaid database search.
- Select Navaids to search the database for longwave non-directional beacons by identifier, name, or frequency.
LW Radio Beacons
- Compiled by William Hepburn, LWCA.
The Interval Signals Archive
- "A collection of audio clips of foreign radio stations, with identification announcements in various languages, signature tunes and jingles, and of course interval signals."
NOAA Weather Radio
- Station listings by state.
- NOAA Weather Radio streaming audio directory.
- TVGOS database and DTV transition information.
Boston Metro Area Unlicensed (Pirate) AM/FM Stations
- 2013 survey by Bruce Conti.
- National Anthems
- Choral and instrumental anthems. Flash audio or download mp3 files.
- Instrumental anthems. Listen to mp3 streaming audio.
U.S. Navy Band Anthems
- "Intended for official use by DoD and U.S. government offices only."
- Additional Resources
- The Web Resource for Radio Hobbyists sponsored by Universal Radio and originally created by Harry Helms, it's all about DXing, the art and science of listening to distant stations.
- The reliable information source for radio hobbyists. Includes the 2002 Chamberlain, Maine DXpedition report.
- "Your source for broadcasting news in the northeastern US and eastern Canada." Home of the Tower Site Calendar and the Northeast Radio Watch.
- The latest DX news, features, and links from the UK by Mark Hattam.
- Broadcast DX and QSL blog by Mauricio Molano Sánchez.
- An extensive collection of radio reviews, comparisons, and restorations.
- WorldStation software by Robert Griffin KC2JJM pulls together Aoki, EiBi, HFCC, and FCC AM databases, Google Earth, plus receiver computer control.
- A collection of links to Latin American radio stations.
Broadcast Law Blog
- AM radio page.
- Online remotely controlled receivers located around the world.
- Tune and listen to Software Defined Radio receivers worldwide.
- Software defined radio (SDR) website.
On The Shortwaves.com
- "Devoted primarily to the history of shortwave broadcasting and the shortwave broadcast DX hobby. Because the roots of shortwave DXing were in the hobby of long distance mediumwave listening, we also cover early broadcast band DXing..."
Early Radio History
- "Articles and extracts about early radio and related technologies," by Thomas H. White.
Radio Heritage Foundation
- Based in New Zealand, "Sharing the stories of Pacific radio."
The Vane A. Jones Log
- North American Radio-TV Station Guide and more radio publication archives.
American Radio History
- Radio Logs and Station Lists - 1920's to the 1980's.
Broadcasting Stations of the World
- Publication of the U.S. Foreign Broadcast Information Service (CIA), 1953-1974 archives at the University of Illinois.
Canadian Communications Foundation
- Go to Engineering to read "DXing - The Art of Listening to Distant Signals," complete with photos, by Brent Taylor.
Jim Hawkins' Radio and Broadcast Technology Page
- Featuring broadcast transmitter facilities of VOA, 700 WLW, WABC-77, RCI, and other standard broadcast stations with over 300 pictures.
Nick's Radio Corner
- "Radio station odds & ends to share."
- Explore the world in 3D.
- The FCC search engine by Cavell, Mertz & Davis Inc. with mapping linked to Google Earth.
- By William H. Scott WE7W, groundwave coverage pattern maps for U.S. AM broadcast stations.
SCT Atlas de Comunicaciones y Transportes
- Maps of Mexico states in pdf.
- Source of island maps.
Cuba Radio Map
- Map and Google Earth coordinates of Cuban AM radio stations widely received in the U.S.
Microsoft Research Maps
- Topographical and aerial maps; this is the mapping service linked in FCC AM Query results.
Lat-Long Distance Estimates
- Free software for calculating the great circle shortest surface distance between two points, accounting for the elliptical shape of the Earth.
- Free Azimuthal-Equidistance (Great Circle) Map Generator software by Paul Burton AA6Z.
- World mapping software to display areas of daylight, darkness, and the grayline path. GeoClock (www.mygeoclock.com) is no longer supported. This links to Version 8.2 archived by dreamhosters.com. GeoClock is also available from the DX Zone at www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Time/.
Live Lightning Maps
- Network for lightning and thunderstorms in real time.
- QSO/SWL realtime maps.
National Geophysical Data Center: Magnetic Declination
- Calculate the difference between magnetic and true north for any given coordinates.
- Search for places in the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency database.
- Audio Recording Software
- Free open source cross-platform software for recording and editing sound.
- Recording, editing, and playback software from High Criteria.
Broadcast DX Receiving Antennas
- Construction Diagrams
- The broadband loop is bi-directional, producing a figure-8 reception pattern. With a "floating ground" it doesn't require a good earth ground at the antenna to perform well, making it ideal for a balcony, rooftop, or any location where grounding isn't practical. It's an easy to build low noise antenna.
Corner-Fed Broadband Loop
- A broadband loop with a corner feed-point results in performance close to unidirectional with improved reception in one direction.
- Addition of a series terminating resistor changes corner-fed broadband loop reception pattern from a modified figure-8 to a cardioid with > 30 dB backside null. A member of the family of terminated broadband loop antennas including the Delta and Flag, the super-sized dimensions produce exceptional gain at low angles for long distance mediumwave reception.
Remote Control Variable Termination SuperLoop
- A transformer isolated remote potentiometer replaces the fixed resistor termination. Works with any terminated broadband loop antenna. Also see "Remote Control Variable Termination" below.
Flag & Pennant
- Variations of the terminated broadband loop with floating ground, producing a unidirectional cardioid reception pattern.
Cross-Phased Delta Loop Antennas
(aka Shared Apex Loop Array) - Taking advantage of 'natural' phasing between two variable termination Delta antennas on a single support.
Comparison of Delta Variants
- Delta, Double Delta, and Cross-Phased Delta Antennas
- Broadband active loop for car roof use designed by Mark Connelly WA1ION.
Remote Control Variable Termination
- New! For remote control of a motorized potentiometer termination (an alternative to transformer-type and vactrol variable terminations). The remote control motorized potentiometer can be used for broadband loop (Delta, Flag, SuperLoop) and Beverage antenna variable termination.
- Produces a unidirectional cardioid reception pattern. A good earth ground is required.
- Double Half Delta Loop (DHDL) description on the OK1RR DX & Contesting Page.
- The classic narrow-beam wave-guide antenna; a terminated long wire, greater than or equal to one wavelength long, performs best over poor ground conductivity.
The Lankford Files
- Antenna and phasing technical papers by Dallas Lankford, on the OKDXF website.
- Tilted Terminated Folded Dipole description by Fred Vobbe W8HDU.
Homebrew 5-ft Folded Dipole FM Antenna
- A simple and effective outdoor bidirectional FM antenna.
- Beverage Resources
W0BTU Beverage Receiving Antennas
- How to build your own one- or two-wire Beverage antennas.
Misek Antenna Research
- Publisher of The Beverage Antenna Handbook, supplier of transformer cores, clips, and FETs used in Beverage antenna construction. Noted dead link June 2015.
Oak Ridge Radio
- The Byan remote-controlled termination.
The Wave Antenna for 200-Meter Reception by H.H.Beverage, QST, November 1922.
The Classic Beverage Antenna, Revisited by H.H.Beverage and Doug DeMaw, QST, January 1982.
- RF Matching Isolation Transformers
- Manufacturer of the ALA100 and FLG100 active RF matching transformers for broadband loop antennas.
- K1FZ model KB-5 Pennant Antenna Transformer for broadband loop antennas.
- RF matching transformers and splitters.
Ferrite Core (Newark Electronics)
- Fair-Rite #2873000202 binocular ferrite core for DIY RF matching isolation tramsformer.
Build Your Own RF Isolation/Matching Transformer
- The simple DIY project for a broadband loop antenna with a Mini-Circuits transformer or by winding your own.
- Antenna Modeling
EZNEC - Antenna modeling software by W7EL.
Broadcast DX Logbooks
Flora and Fauna of Mine Falls Park, Nashua NH - Nature photos.
2012 Presidential Primary: Covering the Coverage
- A photo journal of media activities in Manchester, New Hampshire, leading up to Election Day.
AM Broadcast Tower Sites
- Transmitter site photos (dual frames webpage). Non-frames version.
Radio Canada International (RCI)
- Shortwave transmitter site in Sackville, New Brunswick.
- Photo Gallery
Thank you for visiting ¡BAMLog! © 2000-2017 Bruce A. Conti, 'contiba at gmail dot com'. (Updated 20 May 2017)